The OHS Act recognises the important role health and safety representatives (HSRs) play in representing the health and safety interests of employees. HSRs are elected representatives of employees in a designated work group (DWG) and have been an important feature of occupational health and safety (OHS) in Victoria since 1985.
Under the OHS Act 2004 (Section 67) all elected health and safety representatives (HSRs) and deputy HSRs are entitled to undertake WorkSafe Victoria approved OHS training for HSRs and choose their course in consultation with their employer. MultiSkills Training is Worksafe approved to deliver the HSR course and initial OHS training.
In this HSR course you’ll learn:
- Interpreting the occupational health and safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
- Establishing representation in the workplace
- Participation in consultation and issue resolution
- Represent designated work group members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder(s)
- Issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work
Obtaining your qualification
The HSR course is delivered over five days in five weeks at either MultiSkills Geelong or Werribee locations. It can also be delivered off-site upon request with a minimum of 12 people per group and a maximum of 20 people per group. Although the HSR course is made specifically for health representatives, other workplace staff such as managers, supervisors, and anyone with an interest in health and safety can also complete the course. If you’re interested in finding out more about HSR training in Victoria, contact our professional customer service staff by calling 1800SKILLS or send us a message via our contact page.
- 1 day per week for 5 consecutive weeks, 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Delivered at MultiSkills Training Werribee, Geelong or off-site upon request. Minimum of 12 and Maximum of 20 per group.
- Factory 6/43-47 Riverside Avenue, Werribee VIC 3030
- 351-359 Portarlington Road, Moolap VIC 3224 (Geelong)
- The initial course must be completed within 6 months after commencement of course
- $1,100pp* cost may vary for off-site delivery.
- Morning tea and lunch are provided.
MultiSkills Training (MST) is WorkSafe approved to deliver the HSR Refresher OHS Training course.
This WorkSafe approved HSR Refresher course is an opportunity to revisit aspects of the HSR Initial OHS
Training Course and refresh their knowledge of:
- The value of being a HSR
- HSR entitlements and powers (skills development)
- Risk Management
- Who does what under the Act (A general update on legislation)
- 1 day – 8am to 4pm
- Completed: Health & Safety Representative (HSR) Initial Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) Training Course
- $320pp* cost may vary for off-site delivery.
- Morning tea and lunch are provided