Health and safety representatives (HSR) play a vital role in keeping workplaces safe. To exercise powers and rights as an HSR effectively, it is important that HSRs (and if applicable), any deputy HSR (DHSR) receive training. This will provide HSRs with the skills, knowledge and confidence to represent the members of their designated work group (DWG)
The OHS Act recognises the important role health and safety representatives (HSRs) play in representing the health and safety interests of employees. HSRs are elected representatives of employees in a DWG and have been an important feature of occupational health and safety (OHS) in Victoria since 1985.
Under the OHS Act 2004 (Section 67) all elected health and safety representatives (HSRs) and deputy HSRs are entitled to undertake WorkSafe – approved OHS training for HSRs and choose their course in consultation with their employer. MultiSkills Training is an approved provider to deliver the HEALTH & SAFETY REPRESENTATIVE (HSR) INITIAL OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY (OHS) TRAINING COURSE
- Interpreting the Occupational health and safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
- Establishing representation in the workplace
- Participating in consultation and issue resolution
- Issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work
- Represent designated work group members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder/s
There is no formal assessment for this course. To receive a certificate of attendance participants must attend all five days delivered at either MultiSkills Geelong or Werribee locations. It can also be delivered off-site upon request with a minimum of 12 people per group and a maximum of 20 people per group. Although the HSR course is made specifically for health representatives, other workplace staff such as managers, supervisors, and anyone with an interest in health and safety can also complete the course. If you’re interested in finding out more about HSR training in Victoria, contact our professional customer service staff by calling 1800SKILLS or send us a message via our contact page.
- 1 day per week for 5 consecutive weeks, 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Delivered at MultiSkills Training Werribee, Geelong or off-site upon request. Minimum of 12 and Maximum of 20 per group.
- Factory 6/43-47 Riverside Avenue, Werribee VIC 3030
- 351-359 Portarlington Road, Moolap VIC 3224 (Geelong)
- The initial course must be completed within 6 months after commencement of course
- $1,100pp* cost may vary for off-site delivery.
- Morning tea and lunch are provided.
“I learnt how to drive all of the equipment, excavator, dozer, front-end loader and backhoe, it was really good.”
“Just give it a go, if its something you want to do just have the confidence to try it”